Wednesday, May 18, 2011


So, so glad to be home!  I barely slept a wink at the hospital, with the vital checking and the uncomfortable bed and the noisy IV machine.

Ummm, surgery isn't for the faint of heart.  Wow, that was hard!  Of course, I can tell you now that it was no big deal.  My parents and husband will probably tell you a different story.  They tell me I was pretty miserable the first day.  I am glad I don't remember much.  Same thing with all of my childbirths...don't remember much of the details.

The hardest part for me was the gassy feeling and not sleeping.  My incisions have given me no problem at all and I have read that others have had a port, but I didn't have anything like that.  I did have a catheter, but that was no big deal, as I didn't really feel like getting up to go to the bathroom anyways.  I barely knew it was there.

We arrived at the hospital at 9:30 am for an 11:30 surgery.  It took about that long to get me to the pre-op room and get my gown and IV in.  Then the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me and gave me something to take the edge off.  Well, it was more than an edge because I don't remember anything after that at all.  I seriously don't remember anything until they were wheeling me into my room after the surgery.  That whole first day is a blur.  The second day was better, but I got a wicked headache that the pain medication they had me on did nothing for.  The doctor ended up letting me take something for migraines (with the insistence of  my good friend who was there and demanded that I get something else for my pain...and that worked).

I was so anxious today and "back to my feisty self" as my mom said.  I am still tired and am trying to get liquids in, but I can barely get the 1 oz. down at all.  Really...nothing seems to want to go down.  I am also getting hiccups like crazy, which hurt a great deal. I asked the doctor what size bougie he uses, and he said a tight 32.  Yikes!  Am I going to get anything down?  Orange crystal light and chicken broth work the best so far, but barely an ounce.

I just weighed myself and I saw 258 lbs.  I haven't seen the 250's in forever!  Yahooo!  I am looking forward to that number going down.


Debi said...

Congratulations Sandy!! We have been waiting to hear from you, and I am so glad to hear that it is over and all is all you have to do is learn how to eat with your new Stomach and begin your amazing weight loss!! And already in the 250's!! Yes!

Sheila said...

Congrats on your new sleeve and the start of your new life!!! A 32 is small, but that will be great for weight loss! I have a 34 and sort have deemed myself a slow loser, but it's all good because I'm still losing. Once all the swelling has gone down you will be able to eat/drink more. For now your most important goal is hydration, keep sipping the fluids and keep walking (that helps with the gas) as much as possible. Glad you are on the loser's bench!!!

Jacquie said...

Hi Sandy, I am so happy that everything went well! Were you in hospital for 2 nights? My surgery is 6/17 so I hope you dont mind if I have a ton of questions! my blog is private right now but would love to invite you if you are interested. send me an email at and I will.